2016-05-06

Garden center

Yesterday we went to a garden center in Halle (ecoflora) I wanted to see which herbs they had, since the selection locally is a bit poor. Came back with a good bunch and three new ferns. We also went to the Hallerbos which I had never visited. The bluebells were still going strong. I may post some of those pictures separately.

I'm now transplanting. The ferns are in place and a few others too, but for some I have to think were to put them...

One strawberry "Maestro", which went in the strawberry patch close to the pallet. They had many types, I got this one because it said it was fragrant.

The ferns:


I got this photo for reference since I didn't leave the labels (and removed the buckler fern label which was still there since I planted it). So I got Asplenium trichomanes (15cm) Polypodium vulgare (70 cm) and Osmunda regalis (180cm!). I put 1 and 2 with the other ferns, the largest on the spot where one died (not winterhard I think) and the other towards the front since it's small. I was really hesitating where to put the royal fern. It gets large and needs perhaps a bit more light. I finally planted it before the hawthorn, not too close to it. I will keep an eye on it and see if it needs to be moved.


I was also hesitating where to put this mint. It will perhaps not be as invasive as regular mint (and I have a clump in the middle of my largest patch...) but I wanted to put it elsewhere. And it is dark so I wanted a half-shaded position. I dug a hole close to the rose/snowdrops, removed the grass, planted and refilled with soil. This one is Mentha citrata 'bergamotte'. Smells pretty particular. 70cm.

I also planted a Tanacetum balsamita (yay!!) close to the thymes. 80cm.


More later. I had to come indoors because the sun was merciless.

Meanwhile, a few ladybug photos I found in my phone, from a while back (22 april). There's less around the pallet now, perhaps it is now warm enough and they've spread through the garden. I see them less often but in more places.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.